Sunday, July 26, 2009

Granola in the Crockpot...Yummy!

It is hot, hot, hot here on the south coast of BC! We're having a heatwave and I can hardly wait until it cools down a bit! I've brought out my crockpot(s) in an effort to keep the kitchen cool, the other night I made Lasagna in it and it was fabulous!! Here's one of my breakfast favourites and this is too good not to share! It's truly delish !

 
Posted by Picasa


Peanut Butter Granola (Makes 16-20 servings)
Adapted by me from the original recipe in Fix-it and Forget It: Recipes for Entertaining

6 cups oatmeal (I used Robin Hood Quick Oats)
½ cup wheat germ
1 cup sweet flaked coconut
½ cup sunflower seeds
2 handfuls of whole almonds
1 cup dried cranberries (I also added ½ cup dried blueberries)
1 cup Imperial Margarine (2 squares)
1 cup peanut butter plus a smidge more (Kraft light)
1 cup brown sugar (I used brown sugar Splenda)


• Combine all dry ingredients in a large oval slow cooker.
• Melt butter, peanut butter and brown sugar in the microwave.
• Pour over oatmeal, fruit and nuts in the crockpot. Mix well.
• Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours, stirring occasionally.

**I added a bit more peanut butter because I added more of the dry ingredients…I just can’t seem to leave a recipe alone without adding my own bit of creativity to it!

I have tried this recipe a couple of times and it’s *so* delicious! Everyone loves it! It’s great by itself, for snacking on, or to add milk for a great and filling cereal, good in muffins….really good on anything! I love it on yogurt, just as is or topped with some extra fresh fruit and it’s my favourite breakfast ….well, that is other than going out for a wonderful and decadent breakfast! LOL!!! You can experiment and add things to it (like cinnamon spices, or flavourings like vanilla or almond) that your family loves, as well as taking out some things that your gang is not too fond of! This makes lots. I keep it in a Ziploc bag or sealed plastic container in the fridge. Very yummy!!

Hope you like it! Try it and let me know what you think!

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment